Welcome to Marinduque-My Island Paradise

If this is your first time in my site, welcome! If you have been a follower, my heartfelt thanks to you, also. Help me achieve my dream, that someday, Marinduque will become a world tourist destination not only on Easter Week, but also whole year round. You can do this by telling your friends and relatives about this site. The photo above is Mt Malindig in Torrijos. Some of the photos and videos on this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on the infringement of your copyrights. Cheers!

Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands

Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands
View of Mainland Marinduque from Tres Reyes Islands-Click on Photo to link to Marinduque Awaits You

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Flower Arrangement ( Floristry) from My Garden at Chateau Du Mer


My Bird of Paradise Flower Arrangement from the Gardens of Chateau Du Mer

One of the many hobbies, I enjoy during my retirement years is Floristry. I have not taken any formal courses on the subject, but I have read several books on the subject. So what is Floristry. Here's what Wikipedia says:

"Floristry is the general term used to describe the professional floral trade. It encompasses flower care and handling, floral design or flower arranging, merchandising, and display and flower delivery. Wholesale florists sell bulk flowers and related supplies to professionals in the trade. Retail florists offer fresh flowers and related products and services to consumers.

Floristry is a term can refer to the cultivation of flowers as well as their arrangement, and to the business of selling them. Much of the raw material supplied for the floristry trade comes from the cut flower industry. Florist shops, along with online stores are the main flower-only outlets, but supermarkets, garden supply stores and filling stations also sell flowers.

Floral Design or floral arts is the art of creating flower arrangements in vases, bowls, baskets or other containers, or making bouquets and compositions from cut flowers, foliages, herbs, ornamental grasses and other plant materials. Often the terms "floral design" and "floristry" are considered synonymous. Florists are people who work with flowers and plants, generally at the retail level. The term is not to be confused with floristics (the study of distribution and relationships of plant species over geographic areas.). Floristry is also not to be confused with horticulture which more broadly relates to the cultivation of flowers and plants. Ability to create a variety of floral designs such as wreaths, bouquets, corsages, boutonnières/'buttonholes', permanent arrangements and other more complicated arrangements is also important".

In my younger years, I joined a Garden Club( Platte Woods, Missouri) so that I can exchange ideas on Floristry and Horticulture with others. A few of my flower arrangement had won ribbons and awards. The above flower arrangement is my 3 in 1 Bird of Paradise Creation, I made for Easter at Chateau Du Mer in Amoingon, Boac. All materials including ferns are grown in my garden. I called it Three in One, because the center of the arrangement is one specie of bird of paradise, followed by two of another specie at the side and three of another specie at the buttom of the floral bouquet. In between are ferns and greenery( leaves) to accentuate and give contrast to the yellow, red and pink colors of the flowers. A good flower arrangement must have balance, contrast and symmetry. I hope you enjoy my creation ( see photo above). Happy Spring time to ALL!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...