Welcome to Marinduque-My Island Paradise

If this is your first time in my site, welcome! If you have been a follower, my heartfelt thanks to you, also. Help me achieve my dream, that someday, Marinduque will become a world tourist destination not only on Easter Week, but also whole year round. You can do this by telling your friends and relatives about this site. The photo above is Mt Malindig in Torrijos. Some of the photos and videos on this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on the infringement of your copyrights. Cheers!

Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands

Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands
View of Mainland Marinduque from Tres Reyes Islands-Click on Photo to link to Marinduque Awaits You

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Dandansoy-My Favorite Ilonggo Folk Song


I was a small boy when this folksong was the hit in my province of Iloilo in the 1940's. If you are from Iloilo, this song will make you nostalgic, I hope. Here are two versions of this folk song that makes me homesick of the land of my birth.





A song of affection, Dandansoy is sung in the Hiligaynon language. In the song, the singer bids farewell to a boy named Dandansoy. The song is alleged to have been written by Augorio Abeto who hails from Binalbagan. Augorio was a famous Ilonggo poet during the 1930′s. Another claimant to the song is Fortunata Magsipoc Ledesma from Culasi, Antique. Supporters of this claim said "Dandansoy" is from the phrase "ang daan nga dalan gin usoy." Others from Leyte also claims that the song was originally theirs.

Literal Translation in English:

Dandansoy, I will leave you I'm going home to Payao (the hut)
If in case you will miss (me)
Just look at the Payao (hut's) direction.

Dandansoy, if you will come after (me) don't bring anything,
Even water should you get thirsty dig a small well on the road

Convent, where is the priest? City hall, where is justice?
Here is Dansoy, jailed. Jailed for love.
My handkerchief and your handkerchief
Bring it here, I'll knot it together.
If it ties together
You are my husband,
I am your wife.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...