Welcome to Marinduque-My Island Paradise

If this is your first time in my site, welcome! If you have been a follower, my heartfelt thanks to you, also. Help me achieve my dream, that someday, Marinduque will become a world tourist destination not only on Easter Week, but also whole year round. You can do this by telling your friends and relatives about this site. The photo above is Mt Malindig in Torrijos. Some of the photos and videos on this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on the infringement of your copyrights. Cheers!

Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands

Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands
View of Mainland Marinduque from Tres Reyes Islands-Click on Photo to link to Marinduque Awaits You

Thursday, December 27, 2012

My Movie Review-Les Miserables


After two years of not going to a commercial movie house with a big screen, my wife and I finally decided to see a movie today. My son gave us free tickets as his Christmas gift to see the most publicized movie of 2012 -Les Miserables. I have read the book, saw the Broadway musical and a black and white version of this Victor Hugo's novel set during the French Revolution. The songs in this movie are well known all over the world, popularized by popular singers such as Susan Boyle and of course my favorite Filipina singer and actress, Lea Salonga. There is a new song, Suddenly, composed specifically for this movie sang by Jackman. My favorite songs are I Dream a Dream, On My Own and Take Me Home.

Les Misérables is a 2012 British musical drama film produced by Working Title Films and distributed by Universal Pictures. The film is based on the musical of the same name by Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schönberg which is in turn based on Les Misérables, the 1862 French novel by Victor Hugo.

The film is directed by Tom Hooper, scripted by William Nicholson, Boublil, Schönberg and Herbert Kretzmer, and stars an ensemble cast led by Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway, and Amanda Seyfried. The film tells the story of Jean Valjean, a former prisoner who becomes mayor of a town in France. Valjean agrees to take care of Cosette, the illegitimate daughter of Fantine, and must avoid being captured again by Javert, a police inspector.

Development of Les Misérables began in the late 1980s. After the musical's 25th Anniversary concert in October 2010, producer Cameron Mackintosh announced that the film resumed development. Hooper and Nicholson were approached in March 2011 and the main characters were cast in 2011. The movie was released Christmas Day here in US.

The film has received initially positive reviews, with many critics praising the acting of Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway, and has also been nominated for numerous awards. Before the film's release, it was nominated for four Golden Globe Awards, including Best Film (Musical or Comedy), Best Actor (Musical or Comedy) for Hugh Jackman and Best Supporting Actress for Anne Hathaway.

Here's the official trailer of this magnificent musical of the Decade.


I enjoyed the movie very much. The live singing instead of being pre-recorded makes you feel the story and really identify with what the actors and actresses are trying to convey. It gives the viewers a live and even visceral feeling. I cried all through out the movie. Acting and singing were fantastic and if Jackman and Hathaway wins the Golden Globe Awards, they really deserved it. The other supporting actors and actresses were also excellent and brilliant. The price of $7.00 per ticket was a good bargain, indeed. I highly recommend this movie, if you love musicals.

Addendum: Here's the video of the 25th Anniversary Concert of Les Mesirables, featuring two of my favorite actors( actress), Lea Salonga, playing Fantine and Alfie Boe, playing Jean Valjean.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...