Welcome to Marinduque-My Island Paradise

If this is your first time in my site, welcome! If you have been a follower, my heartfelt thanks to you, also. Help me achieve my dream, that someday, Marinduque will become a world tourist destination not only on Easter Week, but also whole year round. You can do this by telling your friends and relatives about this site. The photo above is Mt Malindig in Torrijos. Some of the photos and videos on this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on the infringement of your copyrights. Cheers!

Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands

Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands
View of Mainland Marinduque from Tres Reyes Islands-Click on Photo to link to Marinduque Awaits You

Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Three New Things I Learned Last April

Today is June 1. Time seems to fly fast with three events that affected my life; March 17-Sudden Passing of Youngest son, David E at 59, April 13-Appointment of Ditas my youngest Daughter as Associate Director for Communications, Bureau of Census and May 21- IB Graduation of Carenna, my youngest grand daughter from United World College at Maastrich, Netherlands. In addition, here are the three things I learned last April.  

You have heard of the saying "One is never too old to learn". It applies again to me last April.  I learned a new Tagalog word. I learned a Digital Magazine for non-fiction published monthly and last but not least, I learned of three new Filipino-news magazines that is geared to overseas Filipinos and Filipino-Americans. These items may not be new to some of you, so for those of you who already knew these items my apology. 

1.First, allow me to inform you of the Atavist Magazine. While I was searching for Caregivers(currently, I stopped searching for a caregiver. I found one last week), I found an article titled The Caregivers. I posted a short review of the article in my blogs a few weeks ago. It was a story that touched my heart- a story of love, art, dementia and prison.    

https://planningtovisitthephilippines.blogspot.com/2022/05/the-caregivers-true-story-of-love-art.html

The Atavist Magazine is a monthly publication of long form narrative journalism. It has been nominated for eight National Magazine Awards since its launch in 2011, and in 2015 it won for best Feature Writing with its piece "Love and Ruin," by James Verini. It was the first digital-only publication to receive the award. It was founded by Jefferson Rabb, Evan Ratliff, and Nicholas Thompson. The magazine launched in 2011. In the spring of 2015, the company released its free publishing platform, built with Google's Polymer. Fast Company wrote that the new system "makes it near-painless to create and sell beautifully designed long-form content across multiple platforms."  Many of its stories have been optioned for film/TV projects. The magazine is represented by Creative Artists Agency. The editor in chief is Seyward Darby. The art director is Ed Johnson. 

2. The second item I learned this week was the tagalog word niluklok. I was born and raised as an Ilongo. So my knowledge of Tagalog is limited to what I learned in high school and from daily conversation with my wife for over 62 years. Based on the context of the article, my guess was it meant appointed. The word was in www.abante.com.ph ( see link below*). I was wrong. It meant installed or seated.

* https://mymemory.translated.net/en/Tagalog/English/naluklok

3. The last item I learned last April were the three news sites for Filipino-American News in the Internet. The sites are listed below with the recent article on Ditas Katague Appointment as Associate Director for Communications, Bureau of Census, Department of Commerce.   I am familiar with the US/Philippine Inquirer and the Asian Journal but not of the three listed below.

https://www.abante.com.ph/pinay-niluklok-na-opisyal-sa-us-census-bureau/ 

https://www.goodnewspilipinas.com/filipino-american-ditas-katague-appointed-to-us-census-bureau-communications/

http://www.positivelyfilipino.com/in-brief/tag/Ditas+Katague

Ditas appointment received both National and International News coverage. Here are the sites and FB pages:

Two other sites besides the Bureau of Census that published Ditas recent SES appointment are the Asian Journal (https://www.asianjournal.com/usa/dateline-usa/fil-am-ditas-katague-appointed-associate-director-of-communications-at-us-census-bureau/and the US Inquirer (https://usa.inquirer.net/98432/fil-am-appointed-to-a-top-u-s-census-bureau-post.) These two newspaper I am very familiar with. 

Their is a FaceBook page from the University of Southern California, Sol Price School of Public Policy that also published Ditas appointment. 

https://www.facebook.com/uscprice/photos/a.173066522728027/5408945755806718/?type=3

The the last but most popular site where Ditas appointment was published was the Facebook page of the Filipino-Americans for Biden as follows: It had more than 45 congratulatory messages and 12 shares.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=307402074868163&set=a.257879296487108 

The original press release of Ditas appointment was published at the Bureau of Census website on April 13.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2022/ditas-katague-appointed-associate-director-communications.html 

Lastly here's Ditas Certificate of Appointment signed by Secretary of Commerce, Gina Raimondo and Deputy Secretary, Don Graves.

Again, Good Luck Ditas in your new job in Washington DC. I hope this will be your most challenging but rewarding job in your public service career. 



 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...