Welcome to Marinduque-My Island Paradise

If this is your first time in my site, welcome! If you have been a follower, my heartfelt thanks to you, also. Help me achieve my dream, that someday, Marinduque will become a world tourist destination not only on Easter Week, but also whole year round. You can do this by telling your friends and relatives about this site. The photo above is Mt Malindig in Torrijos. Some of the photos and videos on this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on the infringement of your copyrights. Cheers!

Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands

Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands
View of Mainland Marinduque from Tres Reyes Islands-Click on Photo to link to Marinduque Awaits You

Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Why Did It Take 35 years to Develop a Malaria Vaccine?

Answer to the above Question: The parasite’s complex biology played a role in the delay, but experts say there was also a lack of urgency and funding.

 

My interest in Malaria started when I was growing up in the Philippines. My Father was a victim of this disease and his symptoms of chills and fever, I will always remember during the Japanese-American War in the Philippines (1941-1945).  THUS WHEN I joined FDA in 1990, I made sure I will have expert knowledge of drugs that will prevent/treat malaria.  As a result in 1993, I was granted my Expertise GS-14 specializing in Anti-Malaria and Anti-parasitic drug products as shown in the Press Release below( 2nd paragraph).  My interest with drugs for the treatment/prevention of malaria has never stopped even 20 years after my retirement. 

Press Release of My GS-14 Promotion, 1993


https://davidbkatague.blogspot.com/2019/10/drugs-for-treatment-malaria.html  

A malaria vaccine is a vaccine that is used to prevent malaria. The only approved vaccine, as of 2021, is RTS,S, known by the brand name Mosquirix. In October 2021, the WHO for the first time recommended the large-scale use of a malaria vaccine for children living in areas with moderate-to-high malaria transmission. Four injections are required for full protection.

Research continues with other malaria vaccines. The most effective malaria vaccine is R21/Matrix-M, with a 77% efficacy rate shown in initial trials and significantly higher antibody levels than with the RTS,S vaccine. It is the first vaccine that meets the World Health Organization's (WHO) goal of a malaria vaccine with at least 75% efficacy (Wikipedia).

For Details visit:

https://www.popsci.com/health/malaria-vaccine-2/?utm_source=Newsletter+Subscribers&utm_campaign=62522e0d3e-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2022_05_27_02_49&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_387276506e-62522e0d3e-515735954#affinity=Health 

Meanwhile enjoy this photo from my album


 Night Light in My Front Yard

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...